Congratulations to YMCA volunteer and board member Mike Broski on winning an Illinois State Alliance of YMCAs award!
Mike was awarded the Alliance Community Impact Award during the Illinois Fall Staff Rally in Normal, IL on September 26. This award recognizes a staff member or volunteer who has made an extraordinary contribution to the Y in their community. At the heart of every YMCA there are select staff and volunteers who give incredible amounts of time and energy to advance the Y's cause.
Mike is described as dedicated, driven, and passionate. He is completely committed to his work at the Y and is the first to volunteer for almost anything we need. Mike has led the charge in growing our annual campaign, serving as the Chair. Over the past 6 years the campaign has increased from around $250,000 to upwards of $1 million with this year's goal at $1.3 million.
On top of annual campaign fundraising, in the past two years, Mike has helped to:
- Raise more than $300,000 for a new Camp Winnebago pavilion that can now serve 80 additional kids every week of summer.
- Raise funds to receive a matching gift that put an additional $200,000 in the Y's endowment.
- Develop a board of trustees that will be responsible for strategic capital fundraising.
- Secure a facility naming rights donor for our flagship, downtown branch.
- Help attract OrthoIllinois to move in to the downtown branch, bringing expanded healthcare to the community while also bringing a tenant to the Y -- who also renovated the space and built a new climbing wall!
"Mike is in the trenches with us each and every day to make sure we never, ever have to turn someone away because they are unable to pay to be a member of the Y. He is a fundraiser, friend, sounding board, cheerleader, and coach," said Michelle Gorham, Chief Advancement Officer.
Mike works behind the scenes, but isn't afraid to be known for what he values: community, compassion, belonging, and connectivity. He believes everyone has value and that when we work together we are our best. He is generous with time, treasure and talent, and is loyal to community non-profits that make a difference.
Congratulations to Mike Broski for winning the Alliance Community Impact Award!